Europe Moves to Reimpose Sanctions on Iran as Nuclear Threats Mount

2 mins read
[Photo Credit: By Khamenei.ir, CC BY 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=162567069]

The United Kingdom, France, and Germany reportedly announced on Thursday that they would reimpose all international sanctions on Iran that had been lifted under the 2015 nuclear deal, a decisive step aimed at pressuring Tehran to return to serious nuclear negotiations.

The European governments said they triggered the so-called “snapback” provisions because of Iran’s repeated violations of the agreement, which the Trump administration had already abandoned in 2018.

“The international community faces serious ongoing concerns regarding the lack of credible assurances that Iran’s nuclear program is peaceful,” the European countries wrote in a letter initiating the snapback.

They cited “significant non-performance of its commitments” by Tehran and urged the regime to engage in “constructive diplomacy to resolve the concerns associated with its nuclear program.”

The sanctions, which would return after a 30-day period if Iran does not act, target Tehran’s economy, banking, weapons programs, and international trade.

Analysts say the renewed measures could deliver a final death blow to the 2015 deal, which critics long argued left Iran on a path to nuclear weapons capability.

Iran immediately decried the move as “unlawful” and promised an unspecified response. Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran’s deputy foreign minister and nuclear negotiator, warned that the sanctions snapback would halt discussions with the United Nations atomic agency on inspections of Iran’s nuclear facilities.

By June, Iran had exceeded almost all the restrictions outlined in the nuclear deal and stockpiled enough highly enriched uranium for roughly 10 nuclear weapons.

Tehran began revamping its nuclear program in 2019, one year after President Trump withdrew the United States from the agreement.

The European decision has drawn strong support from Washington. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the United States would work with the three countries to “successfully complete the snapback of international sanctions and restrictions on Iran.” Rubio added that the U.S. “remains available for direct engagement with Iran—in furtherance of a peaceful, enduring resolution to the Iran nuclear issue.”

U.S. officials have emphasized the importance of direct negotiations with Tehran, following strikes by U.S. and Israeli forces in June that significantly damaged Iran’s nuclear infrastructure.

Iran has demanded guarantees against future attacks and compensation for the damage before returning to talks.

Under the snapback provisions, Russia and China — typically able to block such measures as U.N. Security Council veto holders — cannot prevent the return of sanctions.

European powers have said they may delay enforcement if Iran takes swift and meaningful steps to cooperate with inspections and address concerns over its near weapons-grade uranium stockpile.

Although Iran allowed some U.N. inspectors to return this week, International Atomic Energy Agency chief Rafael Grossi said the country had not agreed to inspections at the most critical nuclear sites, including Fordow, Natanz, and Isfahan.

The reimposition of sanctions would once again criminalize most of Iran’s nuclear activities, restrict conventional weapons sales, and tighten financial oversight, particularly of institutions linked to the Revolutionary Guard.

Even as sanctions are likely to complicate Tehran’s financial dealings, China has signaled it will continue purchasing Iranian oil, providing crucial revenue. Still, the snapback sends a clear message: the era of leniency toward Iran’s nuclear ambitions is over.

[READ MORE: Thailand’s Constitutional Court Removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, Citing Ethical Breaches]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog